May 11, 2007
At Home in our Own Skin
Read Galatians 5:22-26
"Let us not become conceited, competing against one another,
envying one another." vs. 26
The more I talk and share life with others, the more I come to realize just how pervasive insecurity is. Many of us, yes even those of us who wear the mask of having it all together, experience varying levels of insecurity. We wonder if we are liked, attractive, worthwhile, appreciated, respected, or remembered. We live with the constant unease of feeling silly and anxious about our conversations and actions. Consequently, we are never truly satisfied, always looking for that next thing that will make us secure in ourselves.
The problem is that as we look around we notice that somebody else has that "thing" that would make us feel better about ourselves. Inevitably this leads down the path of jealousy and envy, ultimately making interaction between people nothing more that a sick cycle of competition. We are constantly attempting to stay on top with the latest fashion, car, house, degree, promotion, toy, award, recognition, vacation, or procedure. Living in community (or a perverse shadow of it) often leaves us more insecure than were previously--and a lot more exhausted.
However, the scriptures seem to teach us that this type of lifestyle is meaningless and void of substance. In fact, this type of lifestyle in the bible is not only psychologically problematic it is sinful. It is a failure to recognize that my worth is not found in what I can add to the exterior of my persona, instead my worth is found in the fact that God has created me just the way he desired me. In fact Psalm 139 states that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made." Living a life consumed with insecurity, jealousy, envy, and empty competition is nothing less than self-worship--the ultimacy of pride.
Being a child of God releases us from the bondage of self-infatuation. It liberates us to recognize that all I am is the gift of God's grace, grace that he has apportioned according to his plan for my life. In essence I am freed to be at home in my own skin, to come to peace with myself. Again this is not a psychological therapeutic response to the Gospel of Jesus. Instead, it is the outflow of God's Spirit in and through us that enables us to after coming to terms with me, allows me to give myself away to others. We can't function as a blessing to the community if we are constantly attempting to position ourselves as the most blessed.

No comments: